HEAR HER STORY:
PODCAST ABOUT THE TOASTED GINGER CAN BE FOUND AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE.
READ HER STORY:
This month we are celebrating women who take the leap to follow their passions and dreams, and start their own company.
Each month we are highlighting women run companies that inspire us to go after our dreams, and Jenna Dyer from The Toasted Ginger does just that.
She has put a surprise FREE gift of our amazing handmade custom designs in this month's box for all of our subscribers to enjoy, wear, and share. Here is a Peak of what she's created for you this month to enjoy in your Box. Which one will you get?
Now we want you to get a bit more inspired by meeting Jenna and the story behind her beautiful creations, and what gave her the courage to go after her passions, and make a successful company, The Toasted Ginger.
- Can you tell us a little about yourself?
- Well I was born in Boston but grew up in California. I’m the oldest of 3 and ruled over my brothers up until my early teens. I then got into things like makeup, fashion and hair. I would spend hours in my room creating “looks” and avoiding homework. Basically anything that had to do with creating took up my time, when I wasn’t in school or sports. Whether is was crafting, hair, re-purposing my clothes into new ones, or just making with my hands I was into it. I attended Santa Barbara City College after high school and after 2 years of General Ed went into Beauty School. My friends coined the term “bead or die” because when I wasn’t in school I was making jewelry. I’ve been in the hair industry for about 13 years now and have always had crafting/creating as a hobby outside of the salon.
What inspired you to start your blog?
- I was inspired to write. Not about anything in particular but just to start writing. I had always love it and thought, why not? I like to talk a lot and blogging for me was just the written form of that.
How did you come up with the name?
- Well mainly because of my hair color. Being a natural redhead lead me to the Toasted Ginger. It was the best way to describe the particular tone of red I have.
You have such a fun vibrant vibe when it comes to your brand, where do you think that came from? Who inspired you growing up? And today?
- Honestly I have no idea. The best way to put is, I’m just me. Lol! But at the heart of it, I learned my positivity from my mom, my love of fashion from my grandmother and my sense of humor from entertaining myself and brothers as a kid. Growing up I was always in awe of people who just followed their hearts and did things no one else was doing. From the everyday people I saw and met to celebrities like Elton John, Stevie Nicks, Molly Shannon and Will Ferrell. For a long time I thought I was going to be on SNL, I mean I guess I still could. Lol. Today I look to my girl tribe, they’re always there and supportive and inspiring with all the amazing things they’re doing. Having a creative community to bounce ideas off of is key.
Did you have any fears to start your own blog and company? What made you just do it?
- Absolutely I was scared! But why not just start? What’s the worst that could happen? It fails? If that’s the case you take what you’ve learned and you try again.
What’s your favorite thing to write about on our blog?
- Life, the little things and things I find fun and interesting.
What will people experience by following you? DIY? Education? BTS? Tell all the things…..
- Well a little bit of all of that and ME! I love sharing what I’m doing even if it’s just making coffee. But mostly DIY, cooking, beauty and hair stuff. Maybe down the line tutorials
What is your favorite product trend this spring 2019 to wear?
- All the color!! I’m loving bright colorful items to bring into my wardrobe. Right now I’m really into neon and rainbows.
What does a day in the life of Jenna look like?
- It depends, but most days it’s hitting the gym in the a.m., walking the pups and then creating! Whether I’m creating with hair or making my accessories it’s always going to be something creative!
What advice would you tell someone who wants to live their passion, start their own blog, company, or any adventure, but are nervous to just start?
- Hate to sound like a Nike Ad, but just do it! You’ll never know if something will work out unless you try. And again if you fail, no biggie. Pick yourself up and try again. And ask for help when you need it. That was a hard one for me to grasp for a long time. Now I don’t mind, everyone needs help sometimes.
What was your inspiration behind your hair products that are currently online? Tells us more on your offerings?
- Well I love accessories and sparkles and kept finding that they really don’t offer those things to adults. I saw a lot of things for kids but never for adults. And I have no problem rocking kids accessories but they always seemed to cutesy for me. I wanted fun accessories with an adult vibe! Right now I have Bobby pins, headbands, sunnies and custom phone cases available. And for now it’s word of mouth that people are finding me. Well that and anytime people share on Instagram or Facebook. I love seeing that, but more the joy and smiles my products bring to the everyday.
How do you spread the word about your company?
Any favorite quotes that you love and inspires you?
- "A real queen fixes another queens crown without telling the world it was crooked."
Why did you choose the free product highlight in the Giv Box? Tell us more about that product, how it was made, and how you want women to feel when they open up their box this month? What #hashtag would you like them to use when they style their hair accessory?
- I love the Giv Box and their mission. I wanted to give back to those who are shopping in a way that will change someone’s life. I hope everyone feels joy and excitement with what I’ve added to this months box. And fun! I want people to have fun with my accessories and use them to express themselves. If you share please use #toastedgingerstyle.
What other products do you offer online? Where can they go shop other fun products you offer?
EVERYONE get excited for your amazing handmade custom hair accessory from TheToastedGinger.com. FREE in May's Giv Box! Join Today To Grab your hair pins.
Thank you Jenna for giving your time and talents to Giv Back to those who subscribe and choose to create impact with their shopping habits. We just love Jenna, and can't wait to see her custom design company grow like wild fire. Everyone make sure to get her a shout out on your grams today!! She is a true ray of sunshine when you meet this beautiful girlboss.
GO SUPPORT AND shop your custom new accessories! HERE
THE "ELTON" SUNNIES ARE MY FAVE-@JENSTYLES FOUNDER OF GIVBOX
LISTEN TO THE GIV LIFE PODCAST
CHECK OUT HER PODCAST ON HOW SHE STARTED HER WHOLE COMPANY LIVE HERE!